You will be rather surprised to know that about 80 percent of American homes have shingle roofs. Why are shingle roofs so widely used, and what makes them so popular? The answer to this question probably lies in a host of benefits that it offers to homeowners. Anybody who has used the shingle roofs will probably tell you why it's the number one choice for them.
It's not that other roofing materials are not good, but it's just the best. It is not that only homeowners swear by its reputation, but even if you ask for recommendations from professional roofers and contractors, they'd probably tell you the same. From offering a range of benefits to being the economically viable option, asphalt shingles are just the top of the line when it comes to roofing materials.
In this blog, we will discuss why asphalt shingles installation is the new fad in town and what are benefits it can offer to homeowners.
Advantages of Using Asphalt Shingles for your Roof
One primary reason why asphalt shingles are so largely popular is their relatively easy installation process. No wonder it sells by truckloads at Home Depot each year. It offers a myriad range of benefits. Some of them are as follows-:
1. Affordability- Amongst one of the most inexpensive roofing materials for homes & residential properties is the asphalt shingle. This is not to say that being a low-cost material, it in any way compromises the quality. In fact, a properly installed asphalt shingle has a lifespan of decades. While being an inexpensive material itself, the low cost of installation is a major attribute that adds to its affordability. It is so easy to install that a professional roofer can cover about 2000 square feet in a day or less, which means savings on the cost of labour etc. This further adds to the affordability factor.
2. Durability- Unlike other roofing materials, asphalt shingles are very durable and do not require constant maintenance. Asphalt shingles, whatever their type, are generally resistant to extreme weather conditions such as storms, excessive rain, and ultraviolet rays. A weather-resistant construction makes it even more durable, as it adds to the already present layers of protection. Asphalt shingles, due to their strength and added durability, are covered under a limited warranty.
Most of people operate under a general perception that metal roofs are better than asphalt shingles in terms of providing better strength and durability. However, that is not true. It has been often noticed that asphalt roofs provide a better protective layer than metal ones. It is also resistant to harsh weather conditions. A lot of manufacturers offer warranties up to 50 years. This further goes on to speak volumes about the durability of asphalt materials.
3. Easy Installation- Another major benefit of asphalt shingles is the ease of installation. The ease with which asphalt shingles can be installed is exemplary. Probably, no other material would exhibit such easy-to-install features as asphalt shingle does. Because it is so easy to install, it can ensure that your roof is installed without any delays. Not everybody has enough time to spare for roofing and construction. For such people, asphalt shingles can be a boon. Nobody likes it when the construction of houses takes time. With the installation of asphalt shingles or asphalt shingles repair, you would not have to worry anymore.
The quick and easy installation makes it an ideal material for roofing, and an experienced roofer could complete the installation in a day or even less. Since roofing is a process that is usually done in layers, it can take up to a few days. But with asphalt shingles, that is not the case. No wonder it is the first choice of homeowners across North American towns and cities.
4. Energy Efficient- When it comes to energy efficiency, you just can't go wrong with asphalt shingles. Maintaining a pleasant temperature in homes is quite a concern. With asphalt shingles, this does not pose a problem as it is quite deflecting. It helps to deflect the sun's heat, thereby allowing the homes to be cool. The energy that is usually spent on reducing temperature is saved by using asphalt shingles. It, therefore, also reduces the carbon footprint and improves the energy efficiency of homes. Hence, they prove to be energy efficient.
5. Aesthetically Pleasing- Asphalt shingles are nice to look at. One would think that it only comes in 1 or 2 colors, but the truth is it offers multiple color options to choose from. If the aesthetic appearance of your home is something that you look for, then you must opt for asphalt shingles as they are aesthetically pleasing and visibly attractive. There is a surprising range of variety that asphalt shingles offer. Any roofing company would tell you how important the look and feel of the shingles are for the homes. These come in about 15 colors with different patterns, designs, textures, etc.
Apart from providing other benefits, asphalt shingles can add to the visible appearance of your roofs, homes, properties, etc. Asphalt shingles are also available in a number of architectural designs from 2-D to 3-D. Whatever be the exterior of your home, a well-assorted asphalt shingle can add visible appeal to your property.
In a nutshell, we would like to say that if you are planning to get your roofing done, you should be no qualms about picking asphalt shingles. Asphalt shingles offer a myriad range of benefits and advantages over other roofing materials and are, therefore, the top choice of homeowners across North America. It has been creating ripples in the construction industry for quite some time and has, over the years, become the favorite choice of property owners.
We hope that the information we provided in this write-up will help you gain perspective on asphalt shingles, and you will be tempted to use the same. We at Big Texas Roofing & Solar offer efficient, customized end-to-end services in the roofing business and would welcome your questions and inquiries. Our team of adept professionals leaves no stone unturned to resolve your queries and serve you better.